What if business is the answer?
To third-world development
To personal fulfillment
To strong communities
To world peace
Sure, it sounds grandiose, and it is. But this is what a lot of people who attended the Conscious Capitalism® conference believe. And many are making it happen.
People from all over the world – from huge corporations to family-owned businesses – converged on San Diego this April to attend Conscious Capitalism 2014: Building Fully Human Organizations.
I found my tribe.
I’ve always believed in business. I’ve often thought that doing good should not be reserved for the non-profit sector. I also think that people should be able to do good and make a profit.
Conscious Capitalism seems to be the answer. It focuses on four principles:
- Higher Purpose – focuses on purpose beyond profit
- Conscious Leadership – serves the organization; supports the people within the organization
- Stakeholder Orientation – optimizes value for all stakeholders, not just shareholders
- Conscious Culture – fosters love and care, and builds trust among team members and other stakeholders
It was thrilling to hear leaders from major corporations and those who serve major corporations talk about:
- People and profits. Not people or profits.
- Do and make money. Not do to make money.
And this gem, from Dov Seidman, CEO of LRN and author of HOW: Why HOW We Do Anything Means Everything:
“We’re going from a world of formal authority to a world of moral authority.”
Workshops I took included:
- Meetings That Don’t Suck by Holocracy’s Brian Robertson
- Disrupt and Delight Using Humanity Centered Design by BBMG’s Raphael Bemporad
- Enabling the Full Release of Human Possibility by EnPro’s Dale Herold
- Power & Consciousness: How to Be Powerful without Being a Jerk by Quantum Leading’s Dave Kashen
- Unleashing Innovation: The Question is the Answer by Jump’s Dev Patnaik
Plus keynotes by:
- Whole Foods Co-CEO Walter Robb
- Former Southwest and JetBlue executive Ann Rhoades
- Conscious Capitalism Co-Chair and author of Firms of Endearment Raj Sisodia
Interested in learning more? Lots of people I talk to seem to be, which warms my heart. Check out the Conscious Capitalism website or find a local chapter in your area.